Monday, December 28, 2015

2015 in Review

Last Friday of the Month
Most people do an inventory of sorts at the end of the year, and I guess I’m no different, especially this year. Why? Because everything’s changing. Sometime around mid-June I felt it, that my writing was transitioning. I was wrapping up the Newstead Saga and that was part of it, but not everything. I had lots of story ideas, but none of them drew the same amount of passion that Newstead did, and having had that, I wasn’t willing to settle for less. If I didn’t live and breathe it, I wasn’t writing it. And then I did. I wrote a short story that I submitted to the IWSG anthology contest that I consider to be my most important piece of work. It took less than three days to write and I still cry every time I read it. So how do you top that? I don’t know. But it’s more than that. I’ll let you in a little secret. For the past few months I’ve been developing a new book format—something completely different. I can’t wait to share it with you. Come back on January 6th for the big reveal. So with all that, how do I focus on writing another full length novel?

Simple. I don’t.

I do something else instead, something I’m just as passionate about, something like transitioning into that new format I mentioned. I hope to publish all my books that way and then offer it through Black and White. So look for us opening up for submissions sometime early next year. Also, I have a short story being published in an anthology hosted by Randi Lee, and I have a piece of flash fiction in January’s edition of Jack Sprat Press—I’ll post the link when that comes out. That’s about it for me. How about you—any big changes coming in the New Year?

10 comments:

  1. I'm releasing the second novel in my mystery series on 8 January--that means time to move on to the next project--a not-quite finished Ninja Librarian book. I would also like to actually keep my resolution this year: to submit stories for publication! That means more writing, to keep up with the novels and the fiction on my blog plus write for submission. I'm learning how to guard and use my time, though FB may have to be cast into the depths of the sea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you found the right direction for you. I have a big change planned, too. Also a big reveal. But the time has come.

    That's neat we'll both have a piece in Randi Lee's anthology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm focusing on smaller stories now and I like that direction. Embrace yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see what's up your sleeve. Just go where the muse takes you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Stephanie F--follow your muse. Doesn't seem like she's let you down yet!! Happy Holidays, Mel!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your writing!
    And I'm looking forward to Jan. 6th!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds exciting! All the best with 2016! Don't forget to let me know if you want to change your goal on my links list. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to your big reveal! No real changes for me, except that I've finally started writing again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds exciting. Looking forward to seeing your new format. Best wishes for 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on all your new plans and projects. Looking forward to reading more abou them.

    ReplyDelete