Monday, February 1, 2016

Turning Points



Turning points, an Anthology
 

Randi Lee from Stay Classy Publications contacted me last year about contributing a piece for an anthology she was setting up. The theme was turning points; the stories could be long or short, fiction or nonfiction. I was hooked. I don't do well with rules, especially related to my writing. Given too many of them I just freeze. Normally. But for some reason the opposite happened in this case. I couldn't pick which story to tell. I had a few in the works, and had in fact almost completed one, when I stumbled upon another idea that was so different than anything I had ever written before that I ended up shelving the other story and  went with this new idea instead. It is a three part short story, the first of which is in this anthology. In Clockwork Orange style, each part will have twenty-one chapters, signifying a coming of age. The first section, The Reader, is about a girl with an incredible gift. What she reads, she brings to fruition. Literally. The problems start when others pick up on this particular trait she has and want to use it as their own. Not every gift was meant to be shared.
    I will continue to post updates on this project, which is expected to be released later this year. For now, here is a trailer to keep you tantalized:
 
 

10 comments:

  1. That sounds like an interesting plot. I can imagine how people would take advantage of such an ability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That gift could really suck - imagine bringing a flock of dragons to life? (Do dragons flock?)
    I stuck with what I know for the anthology and wrote an early Cassa story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you just love it when an idea takes hold and develops into something tangible!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, sounds really interesting! Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of your story. Reading coming to life!

    I also love anthologies that focus on an idea like that instead of specific genre or type of writing. Somehow it makes the writing seem more honest and pure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you ever watched the cartoon Garfield and Friends? The middle segment was always about barnyard characters and one of them had such a vivid imagination that he could affect reality, while reading or not.

    I hope the girl in your story doesn't start loving horror novels or dystopia fiction!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great premise, Mel! Looking forward to reading your story in the Anthology... I submitted a piece, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the trailer! Congratulations, and the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great project. Can't wait to read!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The video is lovely and we all have turning points in our lives. Looking forward to reading about yous.

    ReplyDelete