Monday, March 14, 2016

Road Trip


In four days I’m taking my kids and going on a road trip. Alone. As in I’m leaving my husband at home. Now, my husband is the one who usually does the driving, so this should be interesting. As the time grows closer, I find myself looking at my smallish car (Chevy Malibu) and picture the five of us in there. Not pretty. But, on the other hand, something about the idea of a real road trip is so appealing. I’ve got my nine-year old picking up wacky places to stop—hoping for something crazy like the World’s Biggest Ball of Twine. Anyone got any suggestions? I’m going from Upstate New York through Ohio, Kentucky, Tennesee to Alabama. We’ve got Lehman’s (Amish old-time store) and Wendell August (Foraging) on the list so far. Anyway, at the very least should give me plenty of new interesting new pictures for Instagram.

8 comments:

  1. Trapped in a car with four kids - I don't think I'd survive that trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a link to odd places in Kentucky. From that page you can check out what the other states have to offer. Lexington has a huge mortar and pestle...
    http://www.roadsideamerica.com/location/ky/all

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to say the same thing as Bish. Roadside America is a great site for finding those odd attractions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do most of the driving when we travel so roadtrips are fun for me. Not really familiar with your route but it sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are some crazy good restaurants along your way. Look them up--great BBQ along the way.














    q

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't go on that many road trips with my parents when I was a kid, so unfortunately I don't have a lot of ideas, especially since even as an adult I haven't done much traveling. But I hope you and your family have fun on the trip! If you're passing through Tennessee, you could stop in Nashville and watch a concert at the Grand Ole Opry, or you could go to their aquarium (I forget what it's called). I haven't been to a concert there at the Opry, but I've heard it's pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I drove a U-haul truck across country with my 12 year old son as navigator, during winter. Amazing trip, but for fun, totally different! Letting kids be part of the process is definitely the way to make it fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone! Great suggestions!

    ReplyDelete